Why are there no follow up commits to the initial release?

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Brian Harry mentions in his announcement: "We plan to be actively involved in the future of the OSS project so we are really looking forward to working with you on it."

There don't seem to be any commits since the release.  How do you see the collaboration between in-house, MS team members and the rest of the community getting started?

Developer
Aug 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Excellent question.  When I look at a calendar I realize that nine long, lonely days have passed since we announced git-tf.  For me it really only feels like two.  I was out of the office last week, at Agile Conference 2012, talking about git-tf.  When you factor in travel time, etc, etc, it feels like no time has passed at all.  But yes, it's been a while since a commit landed.

This exacerbated another problem, which was that we needed to rethink our process.  While developing git-tf, we were hosting everything in TFS and - of course - eating our own dogfood by using git-tf.  So it wasn't immediately clear that we should jump whole hog into Codeplex, because we're using git on codeplex and suddenly we're eating codeplex's dogfood.  (Which, I might add, is some mighty good tasting dogfood.  But that's the problem: nothing quite gets you to fix bugs like when the git-tf brand dogfood tastes bad.)  So we had some bugfixes queued up in our old TFS server while we figured out what exactly to do about that.

Said bugfixes should be landing today (once we get them out of the TFS server they were in and into Codeplex).  And we've decided on a bit of a compromise, wherein some of the team will use codeplex and submit pull requests, and the rest will use git-tf to TFS and then into Codeplex from there.  (We think it's going to continue to be important to dogfood git-tf.)