TFS migration using git-tf

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to use git-tf to clone a branch from a TFS 2010 server then check it in with the full commit history on a TFS 2012 server. The team project collection and the projects within it have a different name on the new server.

I've attempted to do a deep clone from our TFS 2010 server, but it seems to take forever to complete so before I continue I wanted to know if anyone had attempted this or if anyone knows if what I want can be accomplished in this way.

Developer
Oct 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM

git-tf should not be considered to be a replacement for the TFS Migration Tool.  git-tf has no comprehension of branching and merging that occurred on your TFS project.  It also will check in all changes as the user running git-tf.  There may be other caveats that I'm not thinking of.

We use the TFS Migration Tool to sync different TFS servers, including servers of different versions without too many problems, and that's what we'd recommend here.

Developer
Oct 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I agree with Ed, git-tf should not be considered as a replacement for the TFS Migration Tool. For a couple of reasons:

1) You will loose branching and merging information as stated above. More importantly you will lose some of your rename history as well as git tracks rename using heuristics and not the actual operation, it gets even more tricky with folder renames and move
2) You will loose some of your checkin data such as checkin user, and checkin date
3) Git-tf deep clone a couple of years worth of history is going to be really slow because a) clone deep was not optimal today (something we have on the back log) b) clone deep will attempt to download every version of every file , the Migration Tool will replay your changes which is probably faster.

Thanks,

Youhana 

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Edited Oct 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I hadn't heard of the TFS Migration Tool. I'm having a look at it now. It looks like what I need.

Thanks guys.