changeset comment

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I've upgraded to the latest version of git-tf and noticed that it generates a different comment for a tfs changeset after doing a checkin than the previous version (I'm using the --deep option, no message provided with the command).
Is there a way to revert to the 'clean' (without the commit guid, author, commiter) comment from git?

Developer
Nov 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yes, You can use the --no-metadata flag when checking in and it will revert back to the "clean" comment. I also want to note that you can edit the changeset comments in TFS by viewing changeset details, changing the comment and saving.

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Thanks.
I know that I can edit the comments, but doing so for a dozen changesets is not something I'd like to do often ;)

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Is it possible to keep this in git config?

Developer
Nov 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Unfortunately, no. But I will add to our backlog a task to change the default back to what it used to be if we get more feedback around this. Otherwise I will just add a task to have the no-metadata option stored in the config.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Having this stored in git config would be great. As for the default - if I do have a possibility to use config, I don't care what the default will be :)

Thanks a lot!

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM

One more thing that poped into my head - it would be nice to have a possibility to edit the message 'template' in cases I'd like to use the metadata info, but not all of it (like just using the timestamp and comment and skipping author and commiter) - but I guess this is a low priority feature

Developer
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions I will add them to our backlog :)

Thanks,
Youhana

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Can we suggest making --no-metadata the default?

Reasons:

- it is unexpected
- every team uses commit messages differently (e.g. release notes, issue tracking) so I suspect finding a format that is suitable for 80% of users will be hard
- my history is different than the rest of team (i.e. I don't see the meta data in my local repo but everyone else does on theirs)
- in general, we'd like team members to freely choose between plain TF and GIT-TF, defaults that make GIT-TF users appear similar to TF users will help that

I think the option is a great idea and should be kept, I just would prefer it was opt-in. Our 2 cents.

Thanks,
Brian

Developer
Nov 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Thanks Brian for the suggestions. I agree with you, I filed an issue here to track this work : http://gittf.codeplex.com/workitem/51

Thanks,
Youhana