direct git translation to tf commands

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Hi,

I was just wondering why this was designed as a two step approach when git is open source and could possibly be modified to act directly on the tfs repository.  A couple of the git actions would not be available if it were just "translating" commands behind the scenes.  So basically I'm envisioning a git interface to tfs or, better said, to the tf commands.  Seems like that would allow for direct integration with anything that supports git, like XCode for example.  Not criticizing, just asking.  Maybe it is just impossible. Thanks.

Developer
Dec 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Hello,

I would like to appologize for the late reply. There are multiple reason why git tf was decided to be designed this way:

1) Git "informally" defines the way that extensions should interact with it, the way almost all extensions work in git is by providing a shell script or an executable in the form of "git-[toolname]" in our case "git-tf". A lot of git tools themselves are implemented this way, so we decided to follow the git convension set by the git tools already available and in use.

2) After looking deeply on the tf and git scenarios we wanted to support we found out that git and tfs operate differently and that there are multiple scenarios (such as branches, permissions etc) do not map directly to each other. So we decided to provide an integration scenario that kind of handles these differences.

let me know if this does not answer your question.

Thanks,

Youhana

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Thanks for the response.  Makes sense now why it was designed that way.