This project is read-only.

Checkin progress 0%

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Hi,

The checkin command has shows no progress. I have just restarted the command after 5 days at 0%, but the problem has not been resolved by a restart.
git tf checkin --deep --keep-author --autosquash --no-lock
Checking in to $/MyProject/Project: 0%, examining repository
Thanks,
Tore
Feb 18, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Hi Tore,

Which version of Git-TF do you use? On which operating system? How big is the Git repository and its history?

How much memory does the JVM running Git-TF use? You could find that parameter in the line java -ea -Xmx... in the git-tf.cmd script (or git-tf - depending on the OS you use).

Also, it would be helpful if you collect and send us a detailed log for the issue. To do that you should create a log configuration file log4j-git-tf.properties
# Set root category priority to DEBUG and its only appender to LOGFILE.
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, LOGFILE

# Set SOAP logging to INFO
log4j.logger.com.microsoft.tfs.core.ws.runtime.client.SOAPService=INFO, SOAP-LOGFILE
log4j.additivity.com.microsoft.tfs.core.ws.runtime.client.SOAPService=false

# CONSOLE log (default)
#log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
#log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
#log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p %m%n

# LOGFILE log
log4j.appender.LOGFILE=com.microsoft.gittf.client.clc.util.logging.LogAppender
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.File=git-tf
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.Append=false
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p [%t] (%c) %m%n

# SOAP-LOGFILE log
log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE=com.microsoft.gittf.client.clc.util.logging.LogAppender
log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.File=git-tf-soap
log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.Append=false
log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %m%n
For Git-TF, this file should be installed at:
Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Configuration\log4j-git-tf.properties
Ubuntu:  ~/.microsoft/Team Foundation/4.0/Configuration/log4j-git-tf.properties
Mac:     ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Team Foundation/4.0/Configuration/log4j-git-tf.properties
Where:
    %LOCALAPPDATA% = C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local 
Log files could be found at:
Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Logs\git-tf-*.log
Ubuntu:  ~/.microsoft/Team Foundation/4.0/Logs/git-tf-*.log
Mac:     ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Team Foundation/4.0/Logs/git-tf-*.log
You may use my personal e-mail (arukhlin@microsoft.com) to submit the logs.

Thanks,
Alex
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Hi Tore,

Thanks for the logs provided. Looking into them I can say only that Git-TF starts walking thru commit tree using JGit library. With the big repository it could be a high time- and memory-consuming task. The 512MB value you use might be not enough. If I remember well, some of users reported on this forum that hey had to increase that parameter to 1024MB or even to 2048MB to achieve the result. If that does not help, you might have to use --shallow check-in, I'm sorry to say.

Alex
Mar 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Hi Alex,

I have increased the memory to 2048MB. The git tf checkin command have now been running 11 days without progress.

I don't think the command are doing any work. I/O reads in task manager show the exact same number (9 835) for java.exe now as 11 days ago.

Thanks,
Tore