Submodules with Git-TF

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Hi

Is it possible to use submodules with Git-TF? What is the syntax on the command line/in the .gitmodules file?

Thanks
:Tom

Developer
Sep 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Hello tom,

We still have a task on our backlog to figure out what does submodules mean to git-tf and whether we need to do anything special to support the submodules scenarios within git. git-tf depends on jgit we will also need to look into how jgit supports submodules. That said, my guess would be that basic scenarios will work.

Thanks,

Youhana

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I am currently using git tf and I can report that the basic scenarios do not work.  

Simple scenario.  git tf clone (repo).

git submodule init

git submodule add <URL>

git add new directory where the submodule

git tf checkin ****FAILS with missing blob error****

When this happens my git local repo is useless, and I have to delete it and re-clone from tfs. Submodules don't work at all.

Developer
Oct 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Hello paytonrules,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. We have work planned on our backlog to address git-tf working with submodules.

Thanks,

Youhana

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM
So, in the meantime, is there some way I can skip the git commits that add/change the .gitmodules file, and just pretend they don't exist?

If I had known this limitation existed, I wouldn't have added submodules to the project, but now that they're there from 100 commits ago, can I move past them somehow?
Jun 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Any movement on this? I too would like to know if there is a work around whilst the real solution is being developed.

Or... Tell me what needs to be done and I will do it.