myuser@linux:~/src/git-tf-2.0.1.20130107$ java
The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
 * default-jre
 * gcj-4.6-jre-headless
 * openjdk-6-jre-headless
 * gcj-4.5-jre-headless
 * openjdk-7-jre-headless
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

Does your team have a recommendation as to which one to use?

Developer
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

We test with (and recommend) Oracle's JRE.  GCJ is unsupported and simply will not work.

As for OpenJDK, I honestly have not tried it in some time.  Your best avenue, though, will be the Oracle JRE.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I use OpenJDK a fair bit on some systems and it's pretty good as it has the encryption libraries we need etc (unlike GCJ).  The Oracle JDK is a bit faster as it's JIT engine is pretty good, but has been working out ok for me personally.

So I think we're saying we recommend Oracle's JRE as that is the one that we do most of our testing with, but OpenJDK should also work fine.

In terms of version - just pick the newest stable one you can (i.e. Java 7) so you get all the latest security patches etc.

Developer
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Thanks

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 8:56 AM
To: Edward Thomson
Subject: Re: version of JDK to install on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS [gittf:429236]

I use OpenJDK a fair bit on some systems and it's pretty good as it has the encryption libraries we need etc (unlike GCJ). The Oracle JDK is a bit faster as it's JIT engine is pretty good, but has been working out ok for me personally.

So I think we're saying we recommend Oracle's JRE as that is the one that we do most of our testing with, but OpenJDK should also work fine.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Thanks guys!