Is this project alive?

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Hi,
It looks like this project got abandoned, the last change was on 18 april.
I am using this project on a daily basis for helping my company use both tfs and git.

I will be happy to see if this project development continues, and it will improve itself on large projects clone.

Thanks in advance, yosy.
Developer
Jun 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Indeed it is still being worked on. However when we near major milestones in Team Foundation Server (for example, the upcoming TFS 2013) there's a long-tail of activity to update git-tf - we need to update the TFS SDK for Java which git-tf depends on before we can update git-tf itself.

There's a lot of great stuff coming in TFS 2013 and Team Explorer Everywhere 2013 that we're really excited to bring to git-tf. You should start seeing new features soon!
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Thanks ethomson for the reply!

If this is still being worked on why there are no commits/checkins in the history of the project? Are you working on this privately and then releasing the changes to the public?
For the next milestone, what's planned? only tfs 2013 integration?

I will be very happy if you will expose your plans for the future versions!
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Git-TF. you are right, we are currently working on some minor features and bug fixes privately and then soon w'll have a public release with everything. Please let me know if you are looking for a certain feature or bug fix in specific.

Thanks
Mireille
Jun 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Edited Jun 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Hi Mireille,
Currently what I am seeking in git-tf is performance improvements for cloning large projects, I am using git-tf combining gitlab (www.gitlab.com) for moving my organization from tfs to git, Currently this is an hard task to do because we have large repositories (lots of checkins).

I can help and contribute code in order to make this happens as fast as possible if you will share how you want to do this and how can I help.

Yosy
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Hi Yosy,

The perf of the deep clone should be improved with the last commit from today. So please try that new version and let me know if that problem still exists.

Thanks
Mireille
Jun 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Hi Mireille,
Thanks, I will check this version ASAP and update this post when I will have results.

Yosy
Jul 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Hi,
I have tested and I didn't got any big improvement, I started to dig what's taking so much time and I saw that downloadFile takes a lot of times.
What can be done to improve this - both in git-tf and outside of git-tf (for example in my tfs configuration) ?
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Hi Yosy,

So the performance improvements that were done were to reduce the number of server calls. The number of queries executed against the server has been cut by half. I will take a look to the download file and get back to you.

Thanks
Mireille
Jul 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Hi, Those are c# and dll files, they are not that large.. I suspect because this is 4 years old repository. How can I say to gittf to show the server calls?
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Hi Yosy,

so if you want to collect soap level logs which will have the server calls you need to create this Mircrosoft/TeamFoundation/4.0/Configuration/log4j-git-tf.properties, with the following content: (Please Note that this will result in a huge log file so you might want to remove it once you are with you investigation)

Set root category priority to DEBUG and its only appender to LOGFILE.

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, LOGFILE

Set SOAP logging to DEBUG

log4j.logger.com.microsoft.tfs.core.ws.runtime.client.SOAPService=DEBUG, SOAP-LOGFILE
log4j.additivity.com.microsoft.tfs.core.ws.runtime.client.SOAPService=false

CONSOLE log (default)

log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender

log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p %m%n

LOGFILE log

log4j.appender.LOGFILE=com.microsoft.gittf.client.clc.util.logging.LogAppender
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.File=git-tf
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.Append=false
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.LOGFILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p [%t] (%c) %m%n

SOAP-LOGFILE log

log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE=com.microsoft.gittf.client.clc.util.logging.LogAppender
log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.File=git-tf-soap
log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.Append=false
log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

log4j.appender.SOAP-LOGFILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %m%n

I will try to look into this as soon as possible, sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks
Mireille
Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Hi Mirelle, where should I put this directory "Microsoft/TeamFoundation/4.0/Configuration/" ?
Developer
Jul 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Hi yosy,

the full paths depend on your operating system:
Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Team Foundation\4.0\Logs\git-tf-*.log.
Linux:   ~/.microsoft/Team Foundation/4.0/Logs/git-tf-*.log.
Mac:     ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Team Foundation/4.0/Logs/git-tf-*.log.
E.g. %LOCALAPPDATA% - C:\Users\JohnDoe\AppData\Local\

Alex
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Hi Yosy,

Sorry for taking too long on getting back to you on this issue. I took a closer look at the download and did a few tests but it did not seem to be the bottle neck for the clone. Did you do any measurements like what percentage of the overall clone time is consumed by the download?

Thanks
Mireille
Jul 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Hi Mireille,
I haven't tested with logs yet, I will do this next week ASAP, but I will can't send you the logs (due to privacy issues in my organization).
I don't have any measurements, but as I think - most of the time that git-tf is doing (please correct me if I am wrong) on the most simplified version of the clone, Is get the changesets history and then for each changeset download the files and commit.

With large repositories - I don't think that committing is taking all of the time, and I think that downloading all of the files for each changeset is the most time consuming thing.

This is just a theory... I will check the logs and report back, If you that I will check another thing please tell me.

BTW - what you think should be the average time of cloning a 4 years old repository?