Moving to new TFS account - error TF10151 during git-tf checkin

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM
I am working since a year with Team Foundation Service, as a developer I use git-tf on local Linux machines.

Recently a new TFS account was created and I need to migrate code and WorkingItems into that new TFS account. Microsoft ALM recommended TFS Integration Tools. We successfully migrated WorkingItems and Tasks with that tool. Migrating code resulted in too many conflicts.

Looking for ways to use git-tf to migrate the code to new TFS account, I found this question on Stackoverflow.
According to the given answer I cloned the existing local Git repo, set the cloned repository up with the new TFS server and then did git tf checkin. I did that three times, always the same error TF10151.

I got this output from git-tf:
gottfried@lubuntu-virtual-machine:~/tmp/cloned_repo$ git-tf checkin
Username: s.gottfried@hhpberlin.de
Password: 
Connecting to TFS...
Checking in to $/fireAnalytics: 12%, commit a0bfea1                 
git-tf: failed to pend changes to TFS due to the following errors. Please fix the errors and retry check in.
TF10151: Cannot lock item $/fireAnalytics/packages/fdssuite/src/fdssuite/tests/couch_devices.png for check-out.  The item $/fireAnalytics/packages/fdssuite/src/fdssuite/tests/couch_devices.png is checked out by Sascha Gottfried in workspace Hudson-hhpberlin fireanalytics-MASTER.
To give some more context, we use Jenkins Continuous Integration with TEE-CLC plugin. But I do not understand, how this can interfere with the TFS checkin mentioned above.

git-tf: 2.0.1.20130107
Team Explorer Everywhere: Version 11.0.0.201306181526

Any help is welcome and I am open to any advice to get my task done.
Developer
Jan 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Hi,

Does the workspace mentioned in your message actually exist? Is it the workspace used by the Jenkins build? Probably first check-ins made by Git-TF caused build to start and it locks some files. Could you just stop the builder for the time of your migration?

Alex
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM
arukhlin wrote:
Hi,

Does the workspace mentioned in your message actually exist? Is it the workspace used by the Jenkins build?
Yes.
Probably first check-ins made by Git-TF caused build to start and it locks some files. Could you just stop the builder for the time of your migration?
Amazing idea. I did stop Jenkins builder. Then applied the steps mentioned in this SO question again. Now it worked. I edited the accepted SO question to be more explicit.

Thanks a lot for pointing me in this direction. I thought a git-tf commit would be a wrapped in a single transaction and CI systems will be always triggered afterwards. Would be helpful to me, if you could explain, why the CI server (using polling) starts during the git-tf commit.

Sascha