This project is read-only.

Checkin failed: You must use Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 or a later version to work with paths that are longer than 259 characters.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM
The checkin command fails. This is from the log:

2014-02-04 13:10:33,630 ERROR [main] (git-tf) Error executing task CheckinHeadCommitTask
java.lang.Exception: failed to pend changes to TFS due to the following errors. Please fix the errors and retry check in.
TF400951: The operation failed. You must use Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 or a later version to work with paths that are longer than 259 characters. The item [LONG_PATH] exceeds 259 characters.
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.util.WorkspaceOperationErrorListener.validate(WorkspaceOperationErrorListener.java:109)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.pendDiff.PendDifferenceTask.pendBatchRenamesInt(PendDifferenceTask.java:1035)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.pendDiff.PendDifferenceTask.pendBatchRenames(PendDifferenceTask.java:972)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.pendDiff.PendDifferenceTask.pendRenames(PendDifferenceTask.java:938)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.pendDiff.PendDifferenceTask.pendChanges(PendDifferenceTask.java:623)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.pendDiff.PendDifferenceTask.run(PendDifferenceTask.java:279)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.framework.TaskExecutor.execute(TaskExecutor.java:145)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.CheckinHeadCommitTask.run(CheckinHeadCommitTask.java:569)
at com.microsoft.gittf.core.tasks.framework.TaskExecutor.execute(TaskExecutor.java:145)
at com.microsoft.gittf.client.clc.commands.CheckinCommand.run(CheckinCommand.java:272)
at com.microsoft.gittf.client.clc.Main.main(Main.java:328)

Do anyone know how to solve or work around this issue?

Thanks,
Tore Amundsen
Feb 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Hi Tore,

It looks like after rename/move change some of your files got too long paths. TFS used to have a restriction on the server item path to be no longer than 259 bytes. This value was increased in TFS 2012 Update1 to 399. So, you either have to restructure your application to ensure that the restriction is not violated or upgrade your TFS server instance.

Alex
Feb 5, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Hi Alex,

We are running TFS 2012 Update 4, so this should not be a limit server side.
Why do the error message say "Visual Studio Update 1" when it's not a VS limit, but a TFS limit?

We are migrating a repository from GIT to TFS with tf deep to keep history. I can't see how I can restructure the GIT repo history to work around this limit.

Thanks,
Tore
Feb 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Hi Tore,

Do I understand well that in the error message you provided in you first post you replaced the actual item path the [LONG_PATH] tag? If that's correct, how long was the original path?

Alex
Feb 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM
Tore,

One more question, which version of Git-TF do you use?

Alex
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Tore,

I've found out that Java TFS SDK that Git-TF uses for server operations unfortunately still does not support the new TFS Object Model allowing paths to be longer than 259 characters.

Sorry for inconvenience,
Alex
Feb 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Hi Alex,
Yes, I replaced the actual path with [LONG_PATH]. The path is 261 characters.
I'm using git-tf version 2.0.3.20131219.

Thanks,
Tore
Aug 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Hi,

does anyone have found a solution or a workaround?

Ilya
Aug 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately, 261 is still greater than the Git-TF supported limit of 259.

Sorry for inconvenience,
Alex
Oct 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM
I too am experiencing this problem. Any idea on when Git-Tf will be updated to the 2012 Update 1 (or better yet, 2013) object model?