Understanding git-tf vs git workflow

May 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Hello,

Mostly this is a tooling and/or workflow type question.

I am a Windows user of Git for some time. Now adopting TFS 2013 for its Git support. Help me understand. Git-tf interfaces mainly with TFS? In such a way that we can then interface with "traditional" Git repository(ies)?

At least that's what it appears to me to be, but I could be wrong.

Thank you.

Best regards.
May 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM
One clue, which may be wrong on my part, we're not talking TFVC here are we? Or actually, TFS 2013 with Git support?
Developer
May 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Hi,

Git-TF is designed to maintain a bridge between your local Git repository and a traditional TFS version control folder on the server. You do not need TFS 2013 for that, currently you may use any previous version till TFS 2010 inclusive.
The typical workflow could be:
  1. Using Git-TF you clone TFVC folder from the TFS server into a local Git repository.
  2. You make your changes in that repository.
  3. Using Git-TF you pull latest changes from TFS that were checked in meantime by your co-workers, and merge the changes with yours in your local repository.
  4. Your resolve any conflicts locally (if needed).
  5. Using Git-TF you check in the merged changes into the TFS server's TFVC project,
  6. Repeat 2-5.
In case you're going to use TFS 2013's Git version control, you do not need the Git-TF utility at all. TFS 2013 supports the standard Git version control, just select Git as the version control option when creating a Team project. After that you'll be able to create repositories (several per project) in it and use TFS server as other people use GitHub for example. You may use Visual Studio or any other Git compatible tools (e.g. MSysGit, EGit, JGit command line, etc.)

Alex
Marked as answer by mwpowellhtx on 5/16/2014 at 1:01 PM
May 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Ok, ok. That answers the other part of the question. Standard Git protocol it is. Thank you.